‘The Exorcist’: Ellen Burstyn Says She Was Tempted by the Devil to Return for New Movie
After refusing to participate in the ‘The Exorcist’, Ellen Burstyn finally agreed to reprise his role as Chris MacNeil, the mother of the possessed girl Regan (Linda Blair), in the film being developed by Blumhouse.
In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, the star joked that she was tempted by the devil to return because she was offered a lot of money for the proposal.
On the other hand, the actress will invest part of that money in scholarships for the master’s program in dramaturgy at Pace University, located in New York, USA.
“I have refused to return several times since I was called to ‘the exorcist 2‘. I said no every time. This time they offered me a lot of money and I still said no. So they surprised me when they said, ‘We will double the offer.’ So I said, ‘Okay, let me think about it.’ The next thought that came to my mind was, ‘I feel like the devil is asking my price.
“Next, I thought, ‘My price is a scholarship program for talented students in our Master’s program at Pace University. That’s my price.’ So I went back, upped the offer and ended up getting what I wanted, and I have a scholarship program for young actors.”
Finally, she added:
“And I’ve already shot most of the movie. I really like the screenwriter and director, David Gordon Green. I met with him and we talked about the script and so on and I promised him four more days if he needed it. He edited the film and charged those four days, so I’ll be back for more filming in November. The film will be released in 2023 on the 50th anniversary ofThe Exorcist‘ original.”
In addition to Burstynthe list also includes Ann Dowd (‘The Handmaid’s Tale’) and Leslie Odom Jr. (‘Hamilton’).
The new project has its premiere scheduled for the day October 13, 2023. Scott Teems sign the script.
In an interview with Comic Book, teems detailed how it intends to rescue the tension and terror of the first film in this new entry, ensuring it will honor the franchise’s legacy.
“’The Exorcist’ is a different beast from ‘halloween‘ because it is a film that is cult and revered in an unparalleled way. Both franchises are huge successes and have become very popular, but there’s something in ‘The Exorcist‘ makes people see it as something more than a movie. Honestly, it puts more pressure on me as I work, but it also motivates me to deliver something that makes me think, ‘We all swore not to tell this story unless we could tell it in a way that we felt honoured.
“So we were digging through the whole story and trying to figure out everything we could explore before there was any deal. Before we even tried to make a deal or argue about property rights and all that, we wanted to make sure we could live up to the original. During the pandemic, I, David, Danny [McBride] and Jason Blum we would meet via Zoom and talk about what would be the best idea… It was only when we were sure that we decided to move on. We didn’t want to do it just for the sake of doing it. We knew it had to be something we all believed in. And we found this idea.”
Previously, Green revealed to Collider that the script for the first film in the trilogy is ready.
“The script for the first film in the new trilogy is now complete, and we are in the process of mapping out the second film. We still have a lot of work to do, but we know where we want to go. It’s a new journey with some familiar faces and some new faces.”
He adds, “I’m sure I’ll know more about the project a year from now. It’s a very, very different process from the franchise trilogy’halloween‘.”
The next films will be a direct sequel to the 1973 work, and, according to the New York Times, the Universal Pictures paid around US$ 400 million to secure the rights to make a new trilogy – an amount that includes the theatrical and streaming release Peacock.
Don’t forget to watch: